Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wow Urbandub!

Hahnep (no translation meaning ohmy-awesome; also expressed in moments of disbelief due to incredibility)!

I know Urbandub has a following most especially in the Visayan-speaking regions in the Philippines but I didn't know how HUGE they are among students until I heard the whole audience (or pit) sing along with the band. Maybe it's my age or preference (or lack of knowledge in Pinoy rock music), I honestly didn't know a thing. Their music sounded nice though, I liked it. But when it comes to Filipino bands, I prefer songs sung in Filipino not English. Maybe it's the band's way to bring down the language barrier as Cebuanos (Urbandub is composed of Cebuanos, yupyup) generally speak English better than the Tagalog-based Filipino. (Down to Tagalog colonialism! (Although I am a Tagalog-loving Tagalog))

Anyway, Lalay, the female basist, was the biggest star in the band. She sure is pretty and ergo a sure hit among a generally male crowd. AND she literally rocks! With a bass guitar! Daamn. Her name is the only name actually being shouted by the crowd. LALAY!!! And then she smiles a most charming smile and the guys melt. She rocks.

So it was another event by our brand for the youth of Dumaguete City. Truly, the youth rocks in Dumaguete, a city that seems to be created around the mission of educating the youth. Dumaguete is known for hosting four of the best schools not only in the Visayas, but also in the country. They are Silliman University, Foundation University, Negros Oriental State University (popularly called as NORSU) and St. Paul University Dumaguete. Silliman, where the concert was held, is a very romantic campus. I think it's the only university in the country that is literally in front of the beach. It reminded me of the University of the Philippines Diliman campus because of it's openness and the trees that line its main avenue.

Anyway, back to the event, we were actually just part of Silliman's Found
er's Day celebration. The concert ground looked like a fair with the different booths of school orgs all around. They were not booths actually, they were nipa huts in different designs, sizes and variations. My favorite was the ROTC hut that had three levels. I assume a person would be able see much of Dumaguete from the top-most level of their structure. Actually, it might be more proper to call it a Nipa tower because of its height. Hehe. The whole concert went pretty well. It started with our hip hop dance competition and ended with the main act. The kids were happy, I was generally ok (I still had problems with the set-up due to expectations on standards (I hated the coco lumber stage with tons of merchandising from other sponsors so I had them taken out. Sorry Samurai Energy drink.)), no one got hurt, it helped our sales. SO... it was a good run. =)

Thank you Silliman. Thank you Dumaguete. Ok fine, thank you too Eventscape. And thank you Urbandub. Oh, btw, watch their full concert here; the only online concert in the Philippines (among the few in the world. WOW!). Also from Globe! Double Wow (Oh my, we can do these things? Wowowow!)!

PS
My company doesn't pay me to write nor promote our company, our brands or products on my personal page. But since my work is part of my person, surely bits of promotion will find their way here. And speaking of promotion, here is our latest text offers! Tadaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment