Monday, August 27, 2012

My heroes and the Silliman Idol

As I've been in a reflective mood lately, rediscovering the inner me based on my core values, I had to reach again to my heroes for inspiration. Sure, Jose Rizal is my number 1 idol but I think, medyo masyado nang malayo sa reality ngayon si Rizal. While my primordial values - such as faith in humanity and justice, and the struggle to fight for them - remain anchored on Rizal, I still need more contemporary heroes. Steve Jobs is one - the dreamer, rebel and creative hero that he was. More than a technical genius, he was a marketing genius. And he didn't have to rely on FGDs and tons of data to know the market, he was attuned to the market's social backdrop. So when he fought against the Orwellian tech giants of yore, he didn't have to consult urban men, aged 20-3-, upper C SEC. He just knew what the social millieu was, because he was part of it.

Zoom in to more recent times, and in a more relevant industry, another hero remains fighting - the controversial Alexy Bogusky - who made a name in the advertising industry, and went directly against it. Now, he's back in advertising. The genius in genius is the ability of a person to revolt, even against his own self. While his actions in the latter part of his career at CP+B were much frowned-upon, most probably because of the effect of his mental maturation (or masturbation) on hapless employees, I think it was a needed process for the man. Now, he's turned over again - back into advertising's sly charm - but still maintaining the ethics he fought for. I can sense that now in a new campaign for New Balance, using values and not gimmickry as emotional points (showcasing American values, or belief in America) for selling. He is still an adman, but now enlightened and renewed. Anyway, more of him here.

So, I was in Dumaguete recently as Globe Prepaid sponsored (and managed) the Silliman Idol 2012.  Here are some photos to show why Silliman stands at par with the best universities in Philippines.  Again, I subscribe to the idea that universities are not just measured by lessons they teach - but more so, by the culture they create among their students and within the various communities that comprise the whole university social ecosystem. 

Pao Garrido, Globe Trade Marketing Manager for Negros Island, with a random cutie skater from Silliman (I assume).  :p
Silliman University Icon - the Silliman Portal

A showcase of creativity during SU Founder's Day - the booth fair


Globe Prepaid presents the 2012 Silliman Idol!

No comments:

Post a Comment