Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I write communication plans for a hobby

While it's not true that I don't have enough work to keep my mind full, I must say that by training, I am accustomed to executing things after a rigorous process of strategizing and I ergo sometimes miss this time-consuming crafting.

Now, since the comm. strategizing is done for my brand by other people - people who are paid to do the strategizing - my input in the comm. process is limited to my executions. Sometimes it is challenging because I have to make sense of the strategy laid down for me, even if I disagree with it. Sometimes it's easy because I only think of natural executional extensions of the original idea, if brilliant and brilliantly crafted. Which is rare.

So sometimes I do my own planning and comm. strategizing for brands for myself, to challenge myself. It's weird. But it's like crafting a beautiful chair you can never sell to make a profit. It's weird that a business function, business being ruled by numbers, can become a craft and art you devote your time to.

They say advertising is both art and science. But I guess you'll never arrive at labeling it art if you don't make something beautiful for its own sake as a source and form of self-actualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment